Friday, March 28, 2008

Fairleigh Ridiculous

It seems to me when people graduate from a university, they still need more education. How to write English not text, what is the proper business attire for their new work environment, how to deal with piercings, tattoos and other forms of body art, etc. Knowing I was sounding like an ole fogey, I would shake my head and think about 'these kids' and how oblivious they are to the reality of a business environment and how they did not have a clue as to what they had been taught about that environment..

Once again, I am wrong.

Once again I hear Linda in my head saying... 'Your wrong because you ASSUMED!'

Dammit she's right!


I assumed the college or university would teach 'Business English'. I assumed college would discuss proper business attire. I assumed the college or university would actually help PREPARE the student for the next step. Dear Lord, I am naive.

This valuable lesson was just pounded into my head. College students today are following the lead of their respective schools..God Help Them.

As part of my work with Linda, I reach out to different schools, groups, clubs and organizations who want to hear her speak on various topics. Since the move 'The Secret' based on the Law of Attraction (LOA) has come out, Linda has been asked about this topic by almost every person she meets, many of which are college students. She has taught the LOA to some of the top Media, Accounting and Financial companies in New Jersey.

I recently approached the Rothman Center of Fairleigh Dickinson University to have Linda speak or do a workshop on their campus. I called, had a very nice conversation with an Administrative Assistant, and then sent my follow up email as requested. The email was clear and concise, a slight recap of our conversation, and a thank your for the time.

This is the reply I received:

"We are not interested.

Thank you,"

No opening salutation, no form of any type, no modicum of business etiquette... just this thoughtless toss away of an email. And this is what got me to thinking... that if the Administrative Assistant sees this as a perfectly acceptable form of communication, then the University Administration should be ashamed of themselves for not only letting down their students, but decreasing their OWN standards to such an inappropriate business level, as to make me question their ability to effectively teach the future business leaders one of the most basic needs-communication.

Oh by the way, this is the response I wish to send, however, I know it will fall on deaf ears and blind eyes, so I will just invoke my right...and post it here... to The Complaint Dept.

"Dear Ms (name withdrawn)

I find it quite ironic to have received this email from you just as Linda Lauren was starting a Team Building Workshop on this very topic with one of the largest accounting firms in NJ.

I was told by you during our conversation on the phone today, that you would pass my information onto a group or society for them to consider for a lecture or program. Obviously, that was not done. I am also quite surprised that you alone make the program decisions for all clubs, groups, fraternities, sororities, faculty and staff gatherings. It is unfortunate that you have chosen not to pass opportunity on as it would be a great help to your University.

After re-viewing the Fairleigh Dickinson Website, and seeing an announcement for a lecture by a Tattoo Artist, I can now say, I am officially embarrassed to have been part of the Fairleigh Dickinson School Of Business.

God Bless

Susan Dolinko
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Madison
Class of 1979




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...your saying that an entire university does not know how to teach Business English to its students because one of its EMPLOYEES, (which probably didn't even attend that university) rejected you?

Oh yeah...you're really smart.

(sarcasm).

Sounds to me like someone is butthurt.

Anonymous said...

Well, Fairleigh Ridiculous (FDU) ("fairleigh dickinson university") did try their best to come up with a lot of hype consisting of false advertising of things that one won't be using in the real world of work. So Welcome aboard the FDU fairleigh ridiculous train. Some professors were so bad you couldn't appeal their grading system or you would be subjected to a worse grade than what you were going to get.

Evaluation papers were also double standard. THe professors would screen the ones who left negative ratings so student can fail. And yet, apologists fail to see what a ripoff the school was. Wanted to transfer out? well, your GPA is so bad you need another semester to fix it! it's like going to a gambling machine and keep losing your money.